shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : 0.00
View Cart Check Out

Sligo Rovers vs Waterford FC (Away) – SSE Airtricity League

Sligo Rovers 0 - 0 Waterford FC
13 Jul 2019 - 20:00The Showgrounds

Waterford FC had to settle for a point away to Sligo Rovers despite an excellent second-half display.

Matthew Connor saved a first-half penalty before Dante Leverock was sent off late for Sligo.

Sligo Rovers started brightly but Blues defender Maxim Kouogun was alert to clear from Romeo Parkes.

At the other end, Tom Holland’s quick-thinking free kick found the run of Michael O’Connor but it was well blocked.

Maxim Kouogun was called into action again as he got back to make an important block from Parkes’ attempted strike.

Michael O’Connor was threatening for the Blues and his header from Tom Holland’s free kick was narrow over Ed McGinty’s crossbar.

The home side missed a golden chance to break the deadlock on 18 minutes. Michael O’Connor fouled Danny Kane as he broke forward inside the penalty area, but Matthew Connor made a great save from Romeo Parkes spot kick; and brilliantly saved the rebound from Ronan Murray.

JJ Lunney went close for the Blues midway through the first half; his mazy run beating three players but his right-footed strike was narrowly wide.

The first half ended with little goalmouth action; the only chance of note saw Sligo’s Parkes fire wide of Connor’s goal with the netminder untroubled.

The Blues had the first attack of the second half; Shane Duggan saw his free kick blocked before JJ Lunney’s strike couldn’t find the target.

Cory Galvin had two good chance to try make the Blues possession count; his first was narrowly over with a powerful strike, before his second effort minutes later struck the post.

David Cawley fired straight at Matthew Connor before the Blues had a great chance for the opener.

Tom Holland’s free kick wasn’t cleared and Maxim Kouogun made space but just couldn’t keep his left-footed strike down.

Alan Reynolds’ side had another great chance three minutes later when Cory Galvin set Michael O’Connor through down the inside-right channel but his powerful strike drifted narrowly wide of McGinty’s post.

Sligo Rovers were reduced to ten men when Dante Leverock picked up a second yellow card for a foul on Cory Galvin.

The Blues pressed for a late winner but had to settle for a point in the end to stop run of successive defeats.

Sligo Rovers: Ed McGinley, Johnny Dunleavy, Kyle Callan-McFadden, Dante Leverock, Danny Kane, David Cawley, Daryl Fordyce (John Russell 68), Ronan Murray (John Mahon 87), Kris Twardek, Ronan Coughlan (Sam Warde 61), Romeo Parkes

Waterford FC: Matthew Connor, Rory Feely, Kenny Browne, Maxi Kouogun, Kevin Lynch (Georgie Poynton 56), Shane Duggan, JJ Lunney, Tom Holland, Dean O’Halloran (Will Fitzgerald 76), Michael O’Connor, Cory Galvin

Referee: Rob Harvey