shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : 0.00
View Cart Check Out

REPORT: Waterford FC 2-2 Derry City

Shane Duggan fired a stoppage-time penalty to grab a point for Waterford FC in the 2-2 at home to Derry City on Monday.

David Parkhouse had Derry City leading at half-time before Izzy Akinade levelled. Darren Cole again had the visitors in the lead but Duggan’s penalty earned a point.

Scott Twine headed wide of Peter Cherrie’s goal before Derry City’s Gerardo Bruna fire over the crossbar.

The Blues had the ball in the back of the net before ; Aaron Drinan heading home Zack Elbouzedi’s free kick but the offside flag was raised.

David Parkhouse almost gave the visitors the lead but retreating Waterford defender Georgie Poynton stopped his snapshot  midway through the half.

The striker missed a great chance just past the half hour getting on the end of Jamie McDonagh’s cross but he couldn’t find the target from a good position.

Waterford’s Aaron Drinan and Derry City’s Jamie McDonagh traded efforts that never threatened before Parkhouse finally broke the deadlock. McDonagh crossed from the right for the striker to fire past Connor for the opener.

Aaron Drinan and Scott Twine linked up before half time but the latter’s strike was wide of Cherrie’s goal as the visitors held a 1-0 half-time lead.

Gerardo Bruna fired at Connor as Derry looked to extent the lead but it was the home side who struck back to level.

Bastien Hery’s through ball with the outside of his right boot set Izzy Akinade away. He outpaced Josh Kerr and fired past Derry keeper Peter Cherrie to level.

Akinade and Aaron Drinan both had half chances to put Waterford in front but neither could test the keeper.

Derry City looked to have grabbed all three points with Darren Cole’s 25-yard strike with just two minutes left.

But Alan Reynolds’ side hit straight back to salvage a point. Jamie McDonagh fouled Aaron Drinan in the penalty area and Shane Duggan fired into the bottom corner beyond the hand of Peter Cherrie to ensure a share of the points.

Waterford FC: Matthew Connor, Georgie Poynton, Damien Delaney, Rory Feely, JJ Lunney, Karolis Chvedukas (Izzy Akinade 46), Shane Duggan, Bastien Héry (Aaron Simpson 63), Zack Elbouzedi, Scott Twine (Cory Galvin 74), Aaron Drinan

Derry City: Peter Cherrie, Darren Cole, Ciaran Coll, Eoin Toal, Josh Kerr (Patrick McClean 79), Jamie McDonagh, Greg Sloggett, Gerardo Bruna (Evan Tweed 60), Barry McNamee, David Parkhouse (Eoghan Stokes 82), Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe

Referee: Tomas Connolly (Dublin)