shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : 0.00
View Cart Check Out

SSE Airtricity Under 15 Southern Division – Waterford FC 0 Kerry 0

Missed chances were the order of the afternoon at the WIT Arena on Saturday afternoon last as Waterford FC were held to a scoreless draw against their Kerry counterparts in the SSE Airtricity Under 15 Southern Elite Division.

After a win and a draw in their opening two games, it was another point for Derek O’Brien’s side as they were frustrated that they couldn’t take one of the chances that fell their way during the course of the 70 minutes.

Scott Delahunty fired over with the first chance on 10 minutes before a brilliant tackle from Cormac Doyle at the other end denied Kerry a certain goal. Salim Ahmed was off target with a half chance soon after before Liam Kervick had a close range effort saved by the visiting keeper on 34 minutes.

Jamie Lee flashed an effort from the edge of the penalty area after a Kervick cross over the bar before the Blues bossed the second half of the tie but just couldn’t find the key to unlocking the Kerry defence.

Lee turned provider for Salim Ahmed down the right channel on 57 minutes but his attempted lob went wide before the same player was also off target with a shot soon afterwards.  Lee and Delahunty both had half chances in the dying minutes but the Blues had to settle for another point.


SSE Airtricity Under 17 Southern Division – Galway United 3 Waterford FC 0

Our Under 17 side made the long trip to Ballybrit for their SSE Airtricity Under 17 Southern Elite Division game against Galway United but it was a trip that was all in vein as they left disappointed and frustrated after losing out 2-0.

Played on a difficult pitch with a strong breeze, John Furlong’s side failed to adapt to the hosts direct style and lacked quality on the ball when we had possession with the home side grabbing all three goals in the second half of the tie.

That said, The Blues had the best chances of the first half with Donal Porter, Mike Nzongong and Alex Phelan all going close before a rasping drive from 20 yards from Sean Tracey was parried by the keeper as the side went in level at the break.

The second half saw the young Blues defend against the wind but they continued to try and play a passing game which ultimately costing at the final whistle. With mistakes creeping into the Blues game, it was Galway that took the lead through an Aidan Halloran header.

Two unforced errors gifted further goals late on with Donal Higgins and Colin Kelly to cap a poor performance and a difficult day all round.  This league gives our young players a learning experience and they will be better for it as the season continues.

Our Under 17’s will now look to respond next week when we welcome Cork City to the RSC.